The name of the iPhone 11 may not suggest, but it is the successor of last year’s iPhone XR. With faster internals, better camera, and more, Apple has almost completely revamped the handset. Read this detailed comparison if you’re wondering how the iPhone XR is different from the iPhone 11.
The iPhone 11 is Apple’s iPhone for masses. Apple intends to offer almost the same experience as the more expensive iPhone 11 Pro series despite coming with a lower price tag. But Apple had to make a few compromises to reach the lower price tag. These compromises have actually diminished with this year’s iPhone 11. Below is a look at everything from the iPhone 11 to the iPhone XR that is different.
iPhone XR Vs iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 – 6.1-inch True Tone Liquid Retina HD LCD display, 1792 x 828 pixels (326 ppi), Haptic Touch
- iPhone XR – 6.1-inch True Tone Liquid Retina HD LCD display, 1792 x 828 pixels (326 ppi), Haptic Touch
- iPhone 11 – 150.9 x 75.7 x 8.3 mm, 194g, IP68 certified
- iPhone XR – 150.9 x 75.7 x 8.3 mm, 194g, IP67 certified
Both the iPhone 11 and the iPhone XR feature an aluminum frame sandwiched from the front and back with reinforced glass. However, Apple uses the hardest glass ever on the iPhone 11.
The iPhone 11 and iPhone XR are exactly the same in terms of size. The iPhone 11, however, has enhanced water resistance and is certified as IP68. While the iPhone 11 can be dunked to a depth of up to 2 m, iPhone XR is limited to 1 m for up to 30 minutes.
The iPhone 11 is also available in six colors, just like the iPhone XR. Apple offers the iPhone 11 in two new shades of color alongside Black, White, Yellow, and (Product)RED: Purple and Green.
- iPhone 11 – A13 Bionic, 7nm+ EUV, Third-generation Neural engine
- iPhone XR – 7nm A12 Bionic chipset, Second-generation Neural engine
- iPhone 11 – 64GB, 128GB, 256GB
- iPhone XR– 64GB, 128GB
- iPhone 11 – Dual 12MP camera setup f/1.8 and f/2.4 aperture, OIS for Primary sensor, 100% Focus Pixels for the primary camera, Improved Smart HDR, Portrait mode with advanced bokeh and Depth control, Brighter True Tone Flash
- iPhone XR – Single 12MP camera setup with f/1.8, 1.4um large pixels, OIS, Smart HDR, Focus Pixels, Portrait mode with advanced bokeh and Depth control, True Tone Flash
The iPhone 11 comes with a dual-camera system while the rear of the iPhone XR has a single 12MP shooter. Not only did Apple improve the primary camera performance on the iPhone 11, but it also added an ultra-wide secondary angle camera. The 120-degree wide-angle camera will allow an entirely new perspective to capture photos and record videos. This may not seem like a big deal, but it’s going to be a real-life game-changer.
The camera app has a new Night mode that automatically triggers itself to capture brighter photos in low-light scenarios. The iPhone 11’s Portrait mode has also been improved and now it also works on pets.
The capabilities of the iPhone 11 to record video are also a major step up from the iPhone XR. It features Audio Zoom in which the iPhone automatically focuses on the audio from the subject matter. Also improved were the dynamic range and cinematic stabilization on the iPhone 11.
You can also record a video on the iPhone 11 quickly by simply pressing the shutter button and holding it.
- iPhone 11 – 12MP TrueDepth Camera, f/2.2 aperture, Retina Flash, Portrait mode with advanced bokeh and Depth control, Smart HDR
- iPhone XR – 7MP TrueDepth Camera, f/2.2 aperture, Retina Flash, Portrait mode with advanced bokeh and Depth control, Smart HDR
The front camera of the iPhone 11 has a higher 12MP resolution and improved Smart HDR that allows more details to be captured and improved dynamic range offered. It can also record 4 K videos at 60fps with stabilization of cinematic video and 120fps with ‘slofies’.
- iPhone 11 – 1.2Gbps LTE modem, VoLTE, Dual-SIM, Wi-Fi 6 with MIMO, Bluetooth 5.0, NFC with Reader mode, Ultra-Wideband chip
- iPhone XR – LTE-A, VoLTE, Dual-SIM, Wi-Fi ac with MIMO, Bluetooth 5.0, NFC with Reader mode
The iPhone 11 features a Gigabit LTE modem and faster support for Wi-Fi 6. For many, faster connectivity may not seem like a big deal, but in daily use, it will have a big impact. The iPhone 11 also has the new U1 Ultra Wideband chip from Apple that will be useful later this year once Apple Tags are launched. It will enable better positioning indoors, location tracking, and awareness of space.
- iPhone 11 – Face ID
- iPhone XR – Face ID
- iPhone 11 – Up to 1 hour longer than iPhone XR
- iPhone XR – Up to 1.5 hours longer than iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone 11 – Starts from $699
- iPhone XR – Started from $749, Now priced at $499